The County of Orange (County) Social Services Agency (SSA) Children and Family Services Division (CFS) is currently requesting proposals to provide Independent Living Program (ILP) Services to youth/young adults between the ages of sixteen (16) and twenty-one (21) years, or as otherwise authorized by Federal and State regulations. These youth/young adults are or were wards or dependents of the Orange County Juvenile Court and placed in out-of-home care between the ages of sixteen (16) and nineteen (19).
The goal of ILP Services is to prepare youth/young adults for self-sufficiency prior to leaving the foster care system by providing them access to a vast array of available services, resources, skills training and coaching available to support their successful transition to adulthood and socioeconomic security. These youth/young adults will have the opportunity to receive individualized one-on-one services through trained Living Program Staff (ILP Staff) and participate in seminars, workshops and special events with topics of interest such as education, employment, housing, family/social support, financial responsibility, and health (including mental, physical, and reproductive/sexual).
For more information on ILP services and challenges, please refer to the following websites:
- California Department of Social Services Manual of Policies and Procedures, Division 31, Sections 236: http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/ord/entres/getinfo/pdf/cws2.PDF
- California Department of Social Services Manual of Policies and Procedures, Division 31, Sections 525: http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/ord/entres/getinfo/pdf/cws4.pdf
- The Annie E. Casey Foundation, Jim Casey Youth Opportunities Initiative: http://www.aecf.org/work/child-welfare/jim-casey-youth-opportunities-initiative
- The Annie E. Casey Foundation, What Young People Need to Thrive: http://www.aecf.org/resources/what-young-people-need-to-thrive/
- Mathematica Policy Research, Framework for Advancing the Well-being and self sufficiency of at-risk youth: https://www.mathematica-mpr.com/ search?Keyword=framework for advancing the well-being and self-sufficiency of at-risk youth
- Urban Institute, Preparing for a “Next Generation” Evaluation of Independent Living Programs for Youth in Foster Care: http://www.urban.org/research/publication/preparing-next-generation-evaluation-independent-living-programs-youth-foster-care
- Youth Transition Funders Group: http://www.ytfg.org/ytfg-content-types/ytfgpublications