Location: Remote (Los Angeles, CA)
Classification: Part-time, temporary position
Compensation: $18/hr at 18-20hrs per week, for 3 months
Fostering Media Connections (FMC) is a nonprofit news organization that harnesses the power of journalism and media to improve the lives of vulnerable children, youth and their families.
We report and produce our own coverage, which is published on two distinct platforms: The Imprint, a news website, and Fostering Families Today, a bi-monthly print magazine.
FMC also trains youth involved in the child welfare and juvenile justice systems how to produce journalism so they can have a more prominent role in the public discourse that so shapes policy and ultimately their lives. The inclusion and amplification of youth perspectives is critical to FMC achieving its mission. Examples of stories published under the Youth Voice program can be found here.
POSITION PURPOSE AND SUMMARY
In this capacity, you will work directly with our Youth Voice Program Manager, focused on duties that include but are not limited to
- Developing and updating list of organizations, advocacy groups, colleges, universities, and trade schools in prospective states which we seek to build partnerships with.
- Conducting outreach as a means to recruit former foster youth, especially those who have experienced homelessness, or juvenile incarceration.
- Tracking and organizing analytics in Airtable.
- Assisting with our social media handles (i.e. Facebook, Instagram) and helping with tracking analytics.
- Recommending effective ways to engage writers creatively through Youth Voice opportunities (i.e. writing submissions, contests, workshops, etc.).
- Lived experience with the foster care system
- Between the ages of 18 and 28
- Currently pursuing a post secondary education at a university or college
- Interest in journalism, communications or related field preferred
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Reliable, able to work independently
- Unafraid to ask questions, think critically
- Experience with and knowledge of computer operation; comfort using Google Drive, Microsoft Office, and Airtable.
The youth voice correspondent will earn $18/hr at 18-20hrs per week, for 3 months to be paid at the each of each month. This is a temporary, contract position.
Fostering Media Connections is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. FMC does not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind in the workplace.
HOW TO APPLY
If this sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your cover letter, clips or (2) professional writing samples and resume to our Youth Voice Manager at [email protected]