Snelling Center for Government Seeks Applicants for Early Childhood Institute
The Snelling Center for Government in Williston, Vermont, aims to foster responsible and ethical civic leadership, encourage public service by private citizens, and promote informed citizen participation in shaping public policy in the Green Mountain State.
To that end, the center is inviting applications for its Early Childhood Leadership Institute. Initiated in 2014, the institute seeks to stimulate enthusiasm for and effective collaboration around childhood issues in Vermont.
The program, which will run from May 2017 through October 2017, includes twelve seminar days and six overnights. Participants will gain leadership skills and a deeper knowledge and understanding of the science and landscape of early childhood issues in the state. They also will acquire the information, tools, and inspiration needed to make greater contributions to their organizations, their communities, and the State of Vermont in the area of early childhood issues. Upon completion, graduates of the program will join a network of more than seven hundred Vermont Leadership Network Alumni.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential to provide the leadership needed to address issues of statewide significance; serious and sustained interest in their communities; achievement in their professions and/or civic life; real potential for responsible and effective leadership in Vermont; and a commitment to realizing the promise of every Vermont child.
The Early Childhood Leadership Institute was initiated in 2014 and seeks to stimulate enthusiasm for and effective participation in efforts to improve early childhood work in Vermont. A group of diverse participants will come together each year for twelve seminar days over six months, to gain leadership skills and a deeper knowledge and understanding of the science and landscape of early childhood issues in Vermont. ECLI will give participants the information, tools and inspiration to make greater contributions in their organizations, their communities and Vermont toward early childhood issues. ECLI Associates will join a professional network of over 700 Vermont Leadership Network Alumni, with a projected 100 early childhood leadership institute associates.
ECLI is an intensive program consisting of six overnight sessions, totaling twelve seminar days between May and October. Each session is held in a different region of the state to convey a sense of Vermont’s rich historic, geographic and cultural diversity.
KEY PROGRAM FEATURES
- ECLI recruits diverse participants from the private, public and nonprofit sectors.
- ECLI engages outstanding faculty from across the state and throughout the nation.
- Participants learn directly from their peers and a variety of other field experts and their stories.
- Experiential activities, tools and small-group conversations encourage exploration of individual and organizational values and options.
- The learning environment features an appreciative, collaborative approach and lively interaction.
- Thoughtful support for and among participants—before and during sessions—develops from the very beginning.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL OUTCOMES FOR PARTICIPANTS
- Understanding of yourself and of your impact on others
- Growing knowledge and understanding of the science and landscape of early childhood issues in VT
- Habits of curiosity, inquiry, listening and reflection
- Ability to bring a systems perspective to key early childhood issues in Vermont
- Awareness, empathy, and authentic engagement with those of differing backgrounds, viewpoints, and styles
- Positive approach to opportunities and lifelong learning
- Heartfelt connections and a focus on collaborative leadership
See the ECLI website for complete program guidelines, information about program alumni, and application instructions.