The Shelby County Board of Education (“SCBE”) invites the submission of proposals to provide counseling and interventions to a diverse group of students to help promote a safer and improved school environment.
Project Prevent provides access to school based counseling services for assistance in coping with trauma or anxiety through referrals to the district’s licensed Mental Health Center. Additionally, the program works with community based counseling services.
The program also provides school based social and emotional support for students. This will focus on decreasing the incidence of violence, gang involvement, and substance abuse. SCS has taken a proactive approach at addressing the issue by providing services to this potentially highly volatile population which includes educational support, gang intervention, mental health services, and behavior development for students.
Administration of Youth Violence Prevention Program may provide:
- Tutoring and homework assistance
- Parenting/ Adult life skills courses
- Socio-economic / money management development training
- Family issues and concerns courses
- Art, music, poetry or other self-expression courses
- Physical fitness and recreational programming
- Employment readiness and mentoring
- Military career opportunities
- Law related education
- Impact on victims
- Conflict resolution and anger management courses
- Life skills building program promoting a healthy lifestyle drug and alcohol free activities
- Available community resources
- Monthly report of activities with detailed list of services provided and participants