Allegheny County, on behalf of its Department of Human Services (DHS), is interested in exploring new and innovative approaches to food options, food delivery and children/youth engagement for its Summer Food Service Program for Children (SFSP) through the implementation of one or more pilot programs. These pilot programs are intended to reach additional families beyond the children served in the County’s core SFSP which is contracted separately through a competitive Invitation for Bids.
Examples of pilot programs include but are not limited to:
- Pop‐up sites at events or activities throughout the summer using social media and other innovative approaches to marketing/outreach.
- A mobile food truck that, while it may be serving bagged lunches, has the feel and excitement of ordering lunch at a trendy food truck.
- Special sites to reach children on the weekends.
- Dinner options (for sites not serving lunch).
- New partnerships with organizations offering appealing activities in addition to food: Competitive Sports, Games, Community gardens or urban farms, Mobile medical or immunization clinics, Art projects, Cooking classes and/or competitions o Fun nutrition curriculum