Kids ‘N Community Foundation Accepting Applications From North Carolina Youth Groups
The Kids ‘N Community Foundation, the philanthropic arm of the Carolina Hurricanes hockey team, strives to meet the health and educational needs of underserved populations in its community through programming and financial assistance to local youth-oriented organizations.
To that end, the foundation is accepting proposals to its Game Changer Grants program from nonprofit organizations serving needy children in the areas of health, education, and underserved populations. Fifteen organizations will receive grants of up to $15,000.
To be eligible, applicants must be a 501 (c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit operating organization in good standing with the Internal Revenue Service serving children in the state of North Carolina; have a record of outstanding service in effectively and efficiently delivering programs and services that improve the lives of needy children; serve children’s needs in the areas of health, education, and underserved populations; and deliver services that impact the lives of children, both short- and long-term. Organizations also must ensure that 100 percent of grant monies received from the Kids ‘N Community Foundation are used for the exclusive benefit of children.
Education / Literacy
- Grants that encourage educational achievement in areas of documented weakness
- Grants that promote advanced learning opportunities to gifted children who would otherwise lack the resources necessary to pursue dreams and talents
- Grants that expose children to learning opportunities they would otherwise not experience due to insufficient financial resources
- Grants that provide educational programs targeted to low-income children
Health / Wellness
- Grants that emphasize prevention and/or recovery from health problems
- Grants that enhance the health of needy children by promoting healthy lifestyles
- Grants that provide access to medicine and medical procedures for children who require special assistance and would otherwise be denied such assistance
- Grants that strengthen the capacity of operating nonprofit organizations to more effectively meet the needs of low-income children
The Kids ‘N Community Foundation Generally Does Not Fund
- Annual membership or affiliation campaigns, dinners, walks or special events
- Capital Campaigns and Building funds
- Conferences, symposiums, or workshops
- Debt retirement or operating deficits
- Endowments or other reserve funds
- General Operating Costs
- Grants to individuals or sponsorships
- Individual healthcare procedures
- Individual schools or teachers
- Operating organizations in existence less than two years
- Organizations relying on government funding for more than 65% of annual operating revenue
- Organizations that further political doctrine
- Religious organizations, fraternal organizations, labor organizations unless engaged in a significant project benefiting the entire community
See the Kids ‘N Community Foundation website for complete program guidelines and application instructions.