Purpose and Background
The Education Achievement Authority is requesting proposals from providers of legal services.
The EAA is seeking responses from qualified law firms and lawyers to represent the EAA in a certain case pending before the Circuit Court for the County of Wayne, State of Michigan, Case No. 16-004469-NI (the “Matter”). The EAA, a defendant in this Matter, is currently represented by counsel who will be transitioning this file to the Proposer selected in connection with this RFP. The EAA has filed its answer and a scheduling order was recently entered. Each Proposer is encouraged to review all publicly filed documents available in the Matter.
The RFP process will include a review and evaluation of each Proposer’s theory of the case, proposed engagement letter (including hourly rates) and budget proposal in light of the scheduling order entered in the Matter. A Proposer must have significant, demonstrable past experience providing similar services to other educational and/or non-profit entities, this information should be highlighted and included in the proposal.
Scope of Work
Proposer shall provide legal services to the EAA in connection with this Matter under the direction of the Chief of Staff and Senior Legal Advisor. The EAA reserves the right to expand the services required to litigate this Matter as needed. Proposer shall indicate the number of attorneys and paraprofessionals they will regularly use in connection with this proposal.
The purpose of the proposal is to demonstrate the qualifications, competence, and capacity of the Proposers seeking to provide litigation services for the EAA in conformity with the requirements of this proposal. Specifically, the proposal should:
- Provide biographical information on the lawyers proposed to be working on this matter including: years of experience, primary practice area, relevant experience, educational background.
- Include a proposed engagement letter including the range of hourly rates and the anticipated services to be provided by the Proposer.
- Include a detailed litigation budget based upon the documents filed to date in this Matter. Please use Attachment C as a basis for the budget. All information set forth in Attachment C is required; however, more detailed budget proposals are welcomed.
- The proposal should also demonstrate the qualifications of the Proposer, if the Proposer is a law firm.
- The Proposer should be prepared to provide a “theory of the case” identifying the strengths and weaknesses of the EAA”s positon in this matter, if selected for a telephone interview.
- Please provide the names and contact information for at least three references from within the past five years where you have done work similar to that outlined in this RFP.