Company: Fostering Media Connections
Location: Los Angeles County, California
Compensation: $55,000 – $60,000 annually
Fostering Media Connections (FMC) is a nonprofit news organization that uses the power of media and journalism to lead conversations about children, youth, and families in America.
We report and produce our own coverage, which is published on two distinct platforms: The Imprint, an online news site, and Fostering Families Today, a bi-monthly print magazine.
We then market those stories to mainstream and niche media outlets, and/or partner with other outlets in the production of in-depth investigative stories or series of stories.
Finally, we train youth involved in the child welfare and youth justice systems on the basics of journalism so they can develop an understanding of the role of journalism in society and take a more prominent position in the policy discourse that shapes their lives.
The communications and engagement manager position is a full-time role reporting to the director of development. This person will take the lead on increasing the reach of our stories across numerous platforms and channels, and will keep our core audience engaged with our work while connecting with new readers and supporters.
More specifically, this means overseeing our social media activities, developing a cogent organization-wide newsletter strategy, and taking the lead on organizing events (primarily monthly webinars). This person will also conceptualize and execute strategies for engaging new individual donors.
This is an opportunity for a motivated and people-oriented individual who wants to make a difference in impact-driven journalism by listening to communities and fostering lasting relationships. You should be a self-starter who can see the big picture while working on the details of engaging audiences on social media and in newsletters and events. You think in headlines, tweets, and subject lines, and you should be comfortable behind the scenes producing events.
- Develop and lead execution of a newsletter strategy; ensure newsletters are curated and sent according to schedule
- Develop and lead execution of a social media strategy for all FMC activities (The Imprint, Fostering Families Today, Youth Voice and FMC itself)
- Leverage analytics to develop best practices for growth and engagement
- Collaborate with the business and development staff to identify and execute on marketing and growth opportunities
- Promote special reporting projects
- Develop and maintain stakeholder lists, especially in key regions where FMC has foundation support
- Conduct reader surveys and leverage analytics
- Track story engagement and distribution metrics
- Write and distribute press releases as needed, including posting on FMC’s organization website (fosteringmediaconnections.org)
- Assist director of development in overseeing social media and development interns
- Demonstrated experience in public relations, digital strategies, and/or communications
- Familiarity with Google Analytics for the purposes of audience tracking and engagement
- At least one year of event-planning experience, with an emphasis on virtual events using Zoom or similar platforms
- Strong writing and/or copyediting skills; keen eye for AP style and typos
- Proficient with all social media platforms and Microsoft suite
- Knowledge of email distribution software (i.e. MailChimp)
- Understanding of audience development and targeted marketing
- Comfort and competence building relationships and doing outreach in diverse communities around the country
- Adept and personable communicating via phone, email and social media around the organization’s mission, vision and messaging
- Familiar with CRM tools like Salesforce
- Journalism experience or graphic design skills a plus
- Experience with managing recurring donors, or membership programs a plus
- WordPress and/or website management and SEO experience a plus
Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, communications or related field is preferred but not required.
HOW TO APPLY
If this sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your application here (and be sure to include samples of your work): https://airtable.com/shrJ0WaQH2jmllF7Z