Position: Account Manager/Business Development Manager
Company: Fostering Media Connections (www.fosteringmediaconnections.org)
Compensation: Base Salary ($50,000-55,000 annually) + Bonus
Fostering Media Connections (FMC) is a nonprofit news organization that uses the power of media and journalism to lead conversations about children, youth, and families in America’s foster care and juvenile justice systems.
We report and produce our own coverage, which is published on two distinct platforms: The Imprint, an online news site, and Fostering Families Today, a bi-monthly print magazine sent to foster parents and kinship caregivers across the country.
Finally, through our Youth Voice program, we train youth involved in the child welfare and youth justice systems on the basics of journalism so they can develop an understanding of the role of journalism in society and take a more prominent position in the policy discourse that shapes their lives.
Position Purpose and Summary
The business development manager’s primary function is to build relationships with agencies, consultants and other service providers in the youth services field, creating partnerships based on subscriptions and sponsorships for FMC publications and events. The business development manager is also responsible for securing sponsorships for special events, single-issue magazines and webinars, and our podcast.
- Identify potential clients to offer sponsorship and subscription opportunities
- Conduct national research to gather information on prospective clients
- Create and maintain a database of prospective and current clients
- Network within child welfare, foster family and adoption agencies, and juvenile justice programs
- Proactively approach prospective clients through phone calls, emails and in-person meetings on a daily basis, ensuring an active pipeline of at least 50 prospects at all times
- Capture and keep client information up to date in Salesforce by recording all activities, transactions, and communications with clients
- Responsible for subscription and sponsorship renewals and achieving renewal retention goals
- Provide clients with proposals for sponsorship products or services
- Prepare and delivers sales presentations to new and existing clients
- Travel to and exhibits at conferences and events, as needed
- Inform clients of available options for sponsorship art, formats, or features and provides samples
- Provide performance reports to advertisers
- Prepare annual promotional calendar and collaborates with team around marketing efforts
- Communicate contract and billing details to accounts receivable
Skills & Qualifications
- Must demonstrate initiative and be comfortable working independently (this is a remote position with an all-remote organization)
- Must be detail-oriented and have strong organizational skills
- Working knowledge of CRM (we use SalesForce)
- Must be able to travel periodically to conferences, events and meetings with clients
- Must possess strong communication skills
- Must demonstrate self-confidence and sensitivity when calling potential clients
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and/or Google Suite
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Personal or professional experience with adoption, child welfare or youth justice systems preferred
Compensation and Benefits
The business development manager will earn a base salary and will have the opportunity to earn bonuses, based on performance. FMC employees are provided with generous PTO as well as health, vision and dental insurance plans. FMC also offers a matching retirement program.
Fostering Media Connections is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. FMC does not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind in the workplace. Applicants of all ages are encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
Complete our application form here.